The Department was set up in 1924 with the introduction of UG/PG teaching in Commerce. The Management wing was added in 1965 with the setting up of Motilal Nehru Institute of Research and Business Administration and the launching of PG programme leading to the award of Master’s degree in Business Administration. In fact the Department was the first among the Indian University departments to take a lead in starting formal education in Management. The Department also had a Master’s Programme in Business Statistics and a Diploma Programme in Business Administration which had to be abandoned later on for operational reasons.
During the year the academic calendar was strictly observed and the admissions, teaching, and examinations for various classes were held on time.