The Central Library has started its journey on the path of improvement. It was established to cater the needs of the students, research scholars, and teachers of the University. It not only helps in supporting the class room instructional programmes of the university, but also unfolds the horizon of knowledge in regard to the different research programmes carried out by the university.
The Central Library developed out of the library of the Muir Central College, Allahabad (established in 1872, and affiliated with the university from 1872 to 1922, when it was subsumed in the university upon beginning it career as a teaching university). Foundation stone of the university library building was laid by Sir John Hewett on 17th Jan.1910.
The University Library was started in 1916. In 1946-47, Dr.S.R. Ranganathan, father of library science in India, was invited to suggest ways and means of improving the library. He submitted the development plan in March 1947, which was published by the university in the same year. Its contents covered wide range of areas: such as new library building, manpower, finance and other relevant items. A special committee was constituted to review the library development plan submitted by Dr. Ranganathan. The committee pointed out that the central library building constructed in 1913-16 was inadequate. The most satisfactory thing would be to erect a new building designed in accordance with the modern library practice. It recommended the conversion of the Darbangha Hall into a reading room for 500 under-graduates (250 on the ground floor and 250 on the first floor. A portion of the graduates reading room was to be divided into private cubicles for the use by serious students or research scholars. After some times it was felt that space in Darbhanga hall is inadequate to store the reading materials and provide library services.. The present library building was constructed in 1973. The present library building is more spacious and has potential for further expansion. The old library building is now occupied by the office of the Registrar, as well as Accounts and General section of the University.