logo

The Allahabad University Reorganization Act of 1921 transformed the University from an Affiliating and Examining Body into a Teaching and Residential University. The reorganized unitary University of Allahabad in 1922 started with the then Muir Central College converted into the science block of the University. Department of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Botany and Zoology were established to constitute the Faculty of Science.

The existing Physics laboratories were extended and new laboratories constructed during 1922 - 23. On the advice of Einstein and Eddington, Saha was appointed as the first Professor and Head of the Department in 1923. When Prof. Saha joined the Department, there were about 120 B. Sc. And 20 M. Sc. Students, the laboratories were well stocked with demonstration and classroom apparatus suitable for undergraduate classes but ill equipped for M. Sc. teaching and research. But, soon Prof. Saha's love and labour bore fruit and the Department became famous world wide for its pioneering research work on Spectroscopic Analysis of Atomic Spectra, Ionospheric Studies, Acoustic & Ultrasonic Measurements, X-ray Spectroscopy. It will not be out of place to mention that the Photography class of the Department is the oldest such course being run by any Indian University. Nobel Laureates like Compton, Eddigton, Raman, and Summerfield have visited the Department.....